- Gross and microscopic anatomy and movements of shoulder, hip and knee joints; Blood supply, nerve innervations of hand, Lymphatic system; Karyotyping, medical genetics; Electron microscopic structure of glomerulous and muscle; Gross and microscopic anatomy and blood supply of lungs, heart, kidneys, liver, testis and uterus; Gross anatomy of pelvis, perineum and inguinal region. Cross-sectional anatomy of the body and mid-thoracic, upper abdominal, mid-abdominal and pelvic regions.
- Embryology: Major steps in the development of lung, heart, kidney, urinary bladder, uterus, ovary, testis and their common congenital abnormalities; Placenta and placental barrier.
Anatomy of central and peripheral autonomic nervous system :
- Neural pathways for coetaneous sensations and vision; Cranial nerves, distribution and clinical significance; Anatomy of autonomic control of gastrointestinal, respiratory and reproductive systems.
- Central, peripheral and autonomic nervous. system; Nerve and muscle excitation, conduction and transmission of impulse, mechanism of contraction, neurovascular transmission, EMG; Synaptic transmission, reflexes, control of equilibrium, posture and muscle tone descending pathways, functions of cerebellum, basal ganglia, reticular formation, hypothalamus limbic system and cerebral cortex; Physiology of sleep and consciousness, EEG.; Higher functions of the brain; Vision and hearing.
- Endocrine system: Mechanism of action of hormones, formation, secretion, transport, metabolism, functions and regulations of secretion of pancreas and pituitary glands.
- Physiology of reproductive system: menstrual cycle, lactation, pregnancy.
- Blood: Development, regulations and fate of blood cells.
- Cardio-vascular, respiratory gastro-intestinal and renal physiology: Cardiac excitation, spread of cardiac impulse, ECG., cardiac output, blood pressure, regulation of cardiovascular functions; Mechanics of respiration and regulation of respiration; Digestion and absorption of food, regulation of secretion and motility of gastrointestinal tract; Glomerular and tubular functions of kidney.
- pH and pK Hendrson-Hassebalch Equation; Properties and regulation of enzyme activity, role of high energy phosphates in bioenergetics; Sources, daily requirements, action and toxicity of vitamins; Metabolism of lipids, carbohydrates, proteins, disorders of their metabolism; Chemical nature, structure, synthesis and functions of nucleic acids and proteins; Distribution and regulation of body water and minerals including trace elements; Blood Gas Analysis, GTT, Immuno electrophoreses, molecular structure of muscle contractile protein, estrogen receptors.
- Reaction of cell and tissue of injury, inflammation and repair, disturbances of growth and cancer. genetic diseases; Pathogenesis and histopathology of Rheumatic and ischemic heart disease; Bronchogenic carcinoma, carcinoma breast, oral cancer, cancer colon.
- Lymphoma, leukaemia, liver cancer, meningioma and meningitis; Etiology, pathogenesis and histopathology of - Peptic ulcer, cirrhosis liver glomerulonephritis, lobar pneumonia, acute osteomyelitis, hepatitis, acute pancreatis.
- Growth of micro-organisms, sterilization and disinfection, bacterial genetics, virus-cell interactions; Immunological principles, acquired immunity, immunity in infections cause by viruses; Diseases caused by and laboratory diagnosis of Staphylococcus, enterococcus, salmonella, shigella, secheichiza, pseudomonas, vibrio, adenoviruses, herpes viruses (including rubella_, fungi, protozoa, helminthes, leptospiral infection.
- Drug receptor instruction, mechanism of drug action; Mechanism of action, dosage, metabolism and side effects of - Pilocarpine, terbutaline, metoprolol diazepam, acetylsalicylic acid, ibuprofen, furosemide, metronidazole. Chloroquin. Mechanism of action, dosage and toxicity of- Ampicillin, Cephalosporins, 1,2,3,4,th generations, Aminoglycoside, Doxycycline, chloramphenicol, rifampin, Calcium channel blocker, beta blocker, ace inhibitors, immunosuppressive therapy.
- Indications, dosage, side-effects and contraindications of- Methortrexate, vincristin, tamoxifen. Classification, route of administration, mechanism of action and side effects of - General anesthetics, hypnotics, analgesics, Anti-viral, anti-fungal drugs.
Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
Forensic examination of injuries and wounds; Physical and chemical examination of blood and seminal stains; Organo phosphorous poisoning, sedative overdose, hanging, drowning, burns, snake envenomation.
General Medicine: Etiology, clinical features, diagnosis and principles of management (including prevention) of:
- Malaria, Typhoid, Cholera, Tetanus, Rabies, Exanthematous Fevers, Tuberculosis, AIDS.
- Rheumatic, ischemic and congenital heart disease, hypertension. Cardiomyopathy, pulmonary embolism.
- Acute and chronic respiratory infections, bronchial asthma.
- Occupational lung disease, pleural effusion, disseminated tuberculosis Malabsorption syndromes, acid peptic diseases, haemetemesis. Viral hepatitis, cirrhosis of liver, alcoholic liver disease.
- Acute glomerulonerphritis, chronic pyelonephritis, renal failure, nephrotic syndrome, renovascular hypertension, diabetes mellitus, anemia, coagulation disorders, leukemia, polycythemia and hyperviscosity syndrome, meningitis encephalitis, carebrovascular diseases.
- Role of Immageology in the work-up of medical problems, ultrasound, echo cardiogram, CT scan MRI.
- Psychiatry: Common psychiatric disorders, schizophrenia. ECT, lithium.
- Common pediatric problems, congenital cyanotic heart disease, respiratory distress syndrome, broncho pneumonias, kernicterus. Aids- prevention of vertical transmission.
- Common skin diseases, psoriasis, Hansen's disease, fungal dermatitis, scabies, eczema, vitiligo, Stevan Johnsons's syndrome.
General Surgery: Clinical features, causes diagnosis and principles of management of:
- Cervical lymph node enlargement, parotid tumor, oral cancer, cleft palate, hare lip.
- Laryngeal tumor, esophageal tumors.
- Peripheral arterial diseases, varicose veins, coarctation of aorta.
- Dysfunctions of thyroid parathyroids and adrenals.
- Tumors of Thyroid, Parathyroid, Adrenal, Pituitary Glands.
- Abscess of breast, cancer breast, fibroadenoma and adenosis.
- Acute and chronic appendicitis, bleeding peptic ulcer, tuberculosis of bowel, intestinal obstruction, ulcerative colitis.
- Renal mass, acute retention of urine, benign prostatic hypertrophy.
- Haemonthorax, constrictive pericarditis.
- Splenomegaly, chronic cholexystitis, portal hypertension, liver abscess, peritonitis, carcinoma head of pancreas.
- Direct and indirect inguinal hernias and their complications.
- Fractures of femur and spine, Colles' fracture and bone tumors.
- Organ transplantation, kidney, liver, heart, bone-marrow.
- Laparoscopic Surgery.
Obstetrics and gynecology including Family Planning
- Diagnosis of pregnancy, screening of high risk pregnancy, foetoplacental development.
- Labour management, complications of 3rd stage, postpartum haemorrhage, resuscitation of the newborn.
- Diagnosis and management of anaemia and pregnancy induced hypertension.
- Principles of the following contraceptive methods: Intra-uterine devices, pills, tubectomy and vasectomy.
- Medical termination of pregnancy including legal aspects.
- Etiology, clinical features, diagnosis and principles of management of: Cancer cervix, Leucorrhoea, pelvic pain, infertility, abnormal uterine bleeding, amenorrhoea.
Preventive and Social medicine
- Concept of causation and control of disease in the community, principles and methods of epidemiology.
- Health hazards due to environmental pollution and industrialisation.
- Normal nutrition and nutritional deficiency diseases in India.
- Population trends (World and India),
- Growth of population and its effect on health and development.
- Objectives, components and critical analysis of each of the following National programmes for the control/eradication of:
- Malaria, filaria, kala-azar, leprosy, tuberculosis, cancer, blindness, iodine deficiency disease, AIDS & STD and guinea worm.
- Objectives, components critical analysis of each of the following national Health and Family Welfare Programmes:
- Maternal and child health
- Family welfare